Monday, December 8, 2008

Truth War Overview


The conference was held at Springs of Life Bible Church. Everyone at the church was very kind and welcoming. If you were wondering where The Infamous Turkey Pineapple came from, the mystery is now solved! It came from The Truth War Conference. They had a turkey pineapple set up at each table. And I most certainly cannot forget to mention that they provided meals for each attender of the conference. It was the best food I have ever had at a conference! 



Phil Johnson started off the conference. He was then followed by James White. And Andy Davis went third.
Phil Johnson's three sessions were:
  • Can Truth Survive in a Postmodern Society?
  • Truth and The Emerging Church
  • Constrained into Conflict: Why We Must Fight For the Faith
James White's three sessions were:
  • The Devastating Consequences of Contemporary Preaching
  • The Cross and Islam
  • Can We Trust the New Testament Documents?

I was not able to get Andy Davis' picture. (He was very busy.) And I failed once again, because I did not get to here the last session that he did. (Dad and I had to leave right after James White's last session in order to make it home before 10PM.) But here are Andy Davis' first two sessions:
  • The Infinite Journey of Christian Growth
  • The Old Perspective on Paul: The Doctrine of Imputation  
The Truth War Conference was a very humbling experience for me. Never before in my life have I been around so many men who knew so much about theology. I would occasionally eavesdrop on a conversation between pastors and had no idea what they were talking about! All the men there were very brilliant. They could all read Greek as if they were reading English! In one of James White's sessions, he put up a passage of Scripture in Greek and just started translating it into English!! I was amazed.


Even though it was very humbling and discouraging. At the same time I realized that these men had been trained and dedicated their lives to something they believed in. I realized that the level of knowledge and spiritual maturity that they had attained is actually possible for anyone who puts forth the effort. So in another sense it was also an encouraging experience as well.


Andy Davis' second session was my favorite session at the conference. His second session was about the doctrine of imputation. It also dealt with how the New Perspective on Paul movement essentially says that Paul didn't mean what he clearly says in Scripture. They also say that faith is a badge of our righteousness. The whole session was very good, but just the thought of these three things had to be my favorite part of his session:
  1. The imputation of Adam's sin on us.
  2. The imputation of our sins onto the Savior.
  3. The imputation of Christ's righteousness into our account.
Like I said in the title, this is just an overview of the conference. I'm wanting to put together my notes and my Dad's notes and post them onto the blog. I would probably do a post for each session so that its not some uber post.But, I still have other things I'm working on. So that might not be for a while. Just to round off the post, I'm going to add some photos from our trip down to North Carolina. ENJOY!



No comments: