Friday, December 5, 2008

A Really Lame Sermon Illustration

Two weeks ago, my Dad and I went to The Truth War Conference in Durham, NC. (I have been meaning to do an overview of the conference. But I haven't gotten around to it yet.) In order to get to the conference, we had to travel through West Virginia and Virginia in order to make it there.
While on our way home, I was enjoying the views of the mountains through West Virginia when struck by this thought.





"Why in the world would you put a billboard in the way of viewing these amazing mountains?!"



Now here is the lame illustration part.
The mountains are so beautiful and amazing to look at, but when I saw the billboards advertising for a restaurant or jewelry store. I didn't care about food or jewelry, I just wanted to see the mountains! And that should be our attitude toward God and sin. We should look towards Christ and the Gospel and be in awe of it. And when the temptation of sin comes knocking at the door, we should just reject it like the waste of time it is. We should have an attitude toward sin wanting that repulsive thing out of our view of Christ. We should want nothing to do with it.


Isaiah 45:22
"{22} Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else."


No comments: